Derek Champ may not be a huge fan of socks but he certainly knows how important they are in day-to-day life - especially if they're saving that life.
This was because Mr Champ saw the socks
attached to a pair of flailing legs which belonged to a 16-year-old girl on Herne Bay seafront, who was screaming for her life after a rescue of her own - for her cigarette lighter - went horribly wrong.
The young lady clambered into a rock pool head first and slipped into the hole, so only her legs were visible.
Kent Fire and Rescue Crew members managed to prise the rocks away from the girl, saving her life shortly before the tide came in.
Speaking to the Daily Telegraph, eyewitness Shona Reid said: "It was very dramatic.
"The tide was coming in fast and this girl was obviously terrified that she would drown. She was really screaming and everyone just stood around watching and hoping the firemen would get her out in time."
Had the girl been following the latest hosiery
trend, she may have been lost forever, though Toni&Guy will likely stick to their guns that red is the colour of choice to accessorise with.
Take a look at our Best Selling Ladies Socks
News brought to you by SockShop. Go On…Treat Your Feet