The England team's disastrous three-day massacre at the hands of rivals Australia at Headingley may have happened due to player fatigue.
That's because the Radisson hotel in Leeds, where they were staying before the game, was evacuated after fears were raised by smoke in one of the rooms, tripping the fire alarm.
However, it turned out to be heated hosiery
and not an all-out raging inferno, as one of the guests had washed her stockings
and knickers before hanging them to dry on a light, causing them to smoulder.
Speaking to the Sun, a hotel employee said: "They caught fire and when she tried to put them out it caused so much smoke the alarms went off.
"Even if she's not a cricket fan I'm sure by now the lady realises what she's done - spoiling our lads' sleep before the fourth test."
Rumours are rife, however, that it was a dastardly Aussie fan aiming to bowl over the England boys before the game.
If that was the case, they seemed to make a good job of it.
Want a pair of Stockings?
News brought to you by SockShop. Go On…Treat Your Feet