A US hiker was forced to burn his socks to stay warm when he got separated from his party during a walk up a snow-covered mountain.
Yong Chun Kim burned socks and $1 and $5 bills from his wallet after he fell down a slope in Mount Rainer National Park.
Mr Kim told reporters he considered himself "a really lucky man" following his rescue by park rangers on Monday (January 16th).
As an experienced snowshoer, Mr Kim managed to survive for two days, digging a snow tunnel and singing to himself in between brief sleeps.
Meanwhile in Australia, a hiker has been left red faced for trying to attract rescuers after he got lost in the bush.
While trekking up Mt Bogong in Alpine National Park, the walker sparked a blaze when he lit a small fire on a high point to attract attention.
The arriving police helicopter exacerbated the blaze when its downdraught caused a flare up.
News brought to you by SockShop. Go On…Treat Your Feet
Shop for Heat Holder Thermal socks...With a Tog Rating of 2.34 Pull on a Pair when Temperatures Fall!