Sock-swallowing dog on the mend after eating football

Published: 18th March 2010

Sock-swallowing dog on the mend after eating football
A dog more used to eating clothing nearly met his match this month after eating a football, causing the deflated plastic shape to bring about a whole range of problems.

Bracken, a Labrador, was taken into the Small Animal Hospital in Glasgow after munching down on the sphere, where an x-ray had revealed it to measure around 12cm - lodged right next to the dog's heart.

The dog, which is a scavenger more interested in other items such as socks and tights, went on to make a full recovery, though would have died without surgery from the helpful doctors.

John Grant, Bracken's owner, said: "He is quite inquisitive and noisy and boisterous. He eats anything - plastic bottles, golf balls, stones and sticks. He has been fine since the operation but it was quite traumatic at the time."

The Small Animal Hospital is based at the University of Glasgow, designed by Archial Architects for the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine at a cost of £15 million met through public donations and Faculty funds.

Try our vibrant Colour Burst Range

News brought to you by SockShop. Go On…Treat Your FeetADNFCR-1412-ID-19676525-ADNFCR

Problem loading page

Sorry there has been a problem

It seems there has been a problem loading the page you requested. This error has been logged.

  • Check the address for typing errors.
  • The server might currently be experiencing high traffic problems.
  • The server might currently be undergoing maintainance
  • There may be a problem with the application running this website