The walkers of a trainee guide dog are hoping that the canine's penchant for eating human clothes will subside over time.
Labrador-retriever cross Stanley was recently forced to undergo an emergency operation after two socks
he'd swallowed become trapped in his intestines, reports the Swindon Advertiser.
Speaking to the newspaper, puppy walker Rachael Lee underlined her determination to find some way of deterring the pet from snacking on the legwear
She noted: "He thinks he can eat socks. That's my next challenge, to find something to spray on a sock to get it out of him. He will grow out of it."
In addition to socks, there are plenty of other hazards commonly found about the home that could pose a risk to pets.
The RSPCA warns against keeping soaps and detergents within reach of canines, who can suffer throat and mouth burns if exposed to products containing surfacant chemicals.
Residue of these cleaning products may be found around the home, but also in washed socks, underlining the need for care.
News brought to you by SockShop. Go On…Treat Your FeetClick here to view our Dogs Trust charity socks >